1384: The first documentary mention of a church
1550: The first church on its present-day location
1703-1705: reconstruction as „Lausitzer Predigtkirche“ (Lusatian Sermon Church) – With the success of damask weaving and the arrival of Bohemian exiles, the village church had become too small for Großschönau. The church community finances the reconstruction itself, instead of the manorial system.
In 1766, the pattern designer David Christian Berndt arranged the lower gallery with grisaille paintings.
In 1787, the artist Johann Eleazar Zeißig, also called „Schenau“, donated an altarpiece created by himself to the municipality (oder: community).